Chipped, broken or cracked tooth

Chipping, breaking or cracking a tooth is usually not serious. A dentist should be able to treat it.

See a dentist if you or your child has:

  • chipped, cracked or broken a tooth

If a piece of tooth has broken off, put it in milk or saliva (by spitting into a container if it's your tooth, or having your child spit into a container if it's theirs) and take it to a dentist. The dentist may be able to glue the piece of tooth back on.

Do not go to a GP. They will not be able to give you dental treatment.

How to see a dentist in an emergency or out of hours:

  • call a dentist – if they're closed, their answerphone may say what to do

If you do not have a dentist or cannot get an emergency appointment:

You may have to pay for your appointment.

Read more about NHS dental charges

What the dentist will do

Treatments for a chipped, broken or cracked tooth include:

  • gluing the fragment of tooth back on
  • a filling or a crown (a cap that completely covers the broken tooth)
  • root canal treatment for a badly broken tooth where the nerves are exposed

Read more about dental treatments